Monday, September 10, 2012

All we need are flying monkeys.

Let me just say that things have been busy.  Really busy.  I went from bored to tears, re-stuffing the pillows of the couch to desperately wanting/needing a nap and a movie.  Scarecrow and I are longingly dreaming of a day where we don't get out of our pjs.  And I don't mean a romantic day in bed either.  I need a yoga pants, over sized sweatshirt and glasses kind of a day.  He has a week off in October so lets just say I won't be taking many calls or answering many emails that week.

The busy came in the form of family and friends.  Lots of them.  We have seen and felt an outpouring of love from all as we celebrated our marriage here in Oz.  A big thanks to all!  We had a big party at the house to celebrate with everyone who couldn't (and some who could) make it to the reception back in KS.  Great food, great people.  We couldn't ask for more.

(Couldn't help ourselves)

I generally like to post something unique about Limerick and/or Ireland.  That's one of the big reasons I started this blog.  So this week, it's about Limerick City's sister city.  Do you know what it is?  Guess.  Go on, I'll give you a minute to think.


Ok, it's Kansas City, KS!  No, I'm not kidding.  I knew this at one point and tucked it deep into the recesses of my knowledge.  It's not something I use on a daily basis so that stuff tends to get shoved to the back.  My sister reminded me recently of this fact.  While walking around the city centre with my sister and brother-in-law they asked why it felt like Turner with a different accent.  I laughed, looked around, and then realized they were right.  I have moved to the Wyandotte Co. of Ireland.  The fact that KCK and Limerick are official sister cities makes it all the better.  We've established the city centre as Turner, Patrickswell as Piper and Dooradoyle as Leawood (OK, not in the Dotte, but still the KC metro area.  Maybe it could be West Wyandotte or something to stick with the theme).   

What does this say about me?  Am I so tied to the Dotte that I can't get away?  I always did think that the Scarecrow could fit into the hacky sack circle of Sumner.  No, what I think it means is that the world is the same...but different.  Does that make sense?  There are neighborhoods with varying affluence, differing architecture and significance everywhere.  I've never thought of it that way in Oz before.  You have the Forest with its diverse population (Lions and tigers and bears anyone?).  There's Munchkinland where I'm sure they turn a good business in pint sized shoes and lollipops.  And then there's the Emerald City with all its glitz and glam.  You find it everywhere and here is no different.  And I think that's actually very comforting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment